Friday, May 9, 2008

Earth Day 2008

I'm pasting this from my old blog, where for some reason I made it into it's own page rather than a blog entry. Why yes, I am new at this.


Some interesting Earth Day-related posts I read today:

1. At Shakesville, Shaker Rana posts on the ways gender is embedded in the environmental and green movements. I liked it as food for thought. My housemate, who liked it also, had one criticism in that she thinks some of the stereotypically feminine focus on personal, consumer changes have more to do with generational differences than gender differences.

2. At i09, Annalee Newitz writes about futurist Jamais Cascio’s theory that Earth Day, when framed as a discussion on saving the earth, should really be termed Human Civilization day. Since the planet will eventually recover no matter how much damage we do, what we are arguing for ultimately has more to do with human civilization surviving. This one I also liked as food for thought, although I was grateful to see someone in the comments catch that this perspective overlooks all the species humans wipe out in the meantime.

1 comment:

notrightnow said...

I'm not sure I understand your house-mate's criticism of the blog post "thereau's laundry". But I really liked the post, and thanks for the link. At 330 AM when I don't want to study the Mongol conquests any longer, it's nice to read something entirely different.

Which reminds me: I recently heard a lecture about how The Yellow Wallpaper, the quintessential feminist short story is also steeped in American imperialism, as well as a general fear of Chinese immigration. This has nothing to do with anything. I just thought it was a refreshing look at a text I have read so many times I feel an automatic revulsion to the color yellow. (and Charlotte Perkins-Gillman).

ok back to donuts coffee and Mongols.

peace.